2013/10/08

Tsubasa o Kudasai

Released on 2013 Nov. 20th, included in the BD "LIVE - LEGEND I, D, Z, APOCALYPSE -",
recorded on 2012 Dec. 20th at Legend "D" concert (performed only once then).
Lyric: YAMAGAMI Michio / Music: Kunihiko MURAI

The original was sung by Akai Tori in 1971.

Tsubasa o Kudasai (Please Give Me Wings)

Now, if the wish I make
comes true, then I want a pair of wings.
On my back, like a bird,
attach the white wings, please.

Into this vast sky, spreading my wings,
I want to fly away.
Into the sorrowless and free sky,
flapping my wings, I want to go away.

--------
Now, not wealth or honor
do I want, but a pair of wings.
In my childhood, I was dreaming of it.
Now still the same, I'm dreaming of it.

Into this vast sky, spreading my wings,
I want to fly away.
Into the sorrowless and free sky,
flapping my wings...

  (repeat & fade out)



  ROMAJI LYRIC AND NOTES ARE BELOW.


[i] This Song is Very Popular in Japan.

The original "翼をください" was sung by a folk band "Akai Tori" (赤い鳥; The Red Birds), released in 1971 as a coupling tune. Many singers have covered it since 1973. In mid 1970's it was adopted by a music textbook (now by most textbooks), and most pupils and students have sung it in their music lessons, so this song is very popular in Japan and most Japanese under 50 can sing this song.

The lyric writer suffered so heavily from asthma that he couldn't go to school in his adolescence. Rumor says he wrote this lyric by recalling the sky he then saw through the window of the hospital.


Tsubasa o Kudasai (Please Give Me Wings)

Romaji LyricEnglish TranslationNotes
 
Ima watashi no negai-goto ga Now, if the wish I make
kanau naraba tsubasa ga hoshii. comes true, then I want a pair of wings.
Kono senaka ni tori no yooni On my back, like a bird,
shiroi tsubasa tsukete-kudasai. attach the white wings, please.
 
Kono oozora ni tsubasa o hiroge Into this vast sky, spreading my wings,
tonde yukitai yo. I want to fly away.
Kanashimi no nai jiyuuna sora e Into the sorrowless and free sky,
tsubasa hatamekase yukitai. flapping my wings, I want to go away.
 
--------1
Ima tomi toka meiyo naraba Now, not wealth or honor2
ira-nai kedo tsubasa ga hoshii. do I want, but a pair of wings.
Kodomo no toki yume mita koto In my childhood, I was dreaming of it.3
ima mo onaji yume ni miteiru. Now still the same, I'm dreaming of it.
 
Kono oozora ni tsubasa o hiroge Into this vast sky, spreading my wings,
tonde yukitai yo. I want to fly away.
Kanashimi no nai jiyuuna sora e Into the sorrowless and free sky,
tsubasa hatamekase... flapping my wings...
 
  (repeat & fade out)
 

Notes

  1. BABYMETAL's version was called "-Honoo ver.-" (flame ver). The second verse & chorus (below --------) are omitted and the first chorus is repeated.
  2. These two lines have often been omitted by Akai Tori and other singers.
  3. Literally "Now still the same, I am dreaming of what I dreamed of in my childhood".

No comments :

Post a Comment